So why do people love small dog breeds? and why do they continually rank high in the most popular dogs in America? There are some fantastic breeds of small dogs, as you can explore further on our site, and they have such incredible personalities despite (or in spite of!) their size. Here are my top ten reasons why I believe that small dogs will always have a place in our families.
Top 10 Reasons why People Love Small Dogs Breeds.
- Small dogs breeds are great for everyone. Whether small children, elderly people, or anyone in between, small dogs are so easy for anyone to fall in love with their big personalities.
- Small dogs have been bred as companion dogs for centuries. They love to cuddle on your lap, and be a part of the family, and will be there for you as your best friend for their whole life.
- The unconditional love of a small dog when you come home from work in the evenings is the best thing in the world, and will cheer up even the most grouchy of Grinch’s.
- Small dogs, by nature, are small, and therefore are much easier to manage. They fit into smaller carrier cases, and you won’t need a huge car to get them around.
- Being smaller breeds, they need less exercise. Dogs will always need stimulation and exercise, but small dogs need far less than their bigger cousins who never seem to tire out.
- They eat less! this is of course cheaper, more economical, takes up less room (you don’t need a store-room for that huge bulk packet of food) and what goes in, must come out. They are a lot easier to tidy up after!
- Small dogs are great for inexperienced owners. If you’re a first time dog owner, it can be a lot less daunting to bring home a small dog to care for and train.
- Having any one of the small dog breeds listed on our site can be the best way to meet new people. Who can resist patting a well-looked after dog and striking up a conversation with a fellow dog-lover.
- Small dogs, again because they are small, tend to shed less fur. This makes them the perfect companion for anyone with allergies, and your house won’t get over-run with fur all over everything.
- They are perfect for any living arrangement. Whether you live in an inner city apartment, or a farm in the country, your small dog will thrive with your company alone regardless of the amount of space you have to offer. They will of course always enjoy a walk to the park, but they will be happy to be inside with you, and won’t knock over your fridge like a bigger dog would when living in an apartment!
If you’re hunting for inspiration for your next family pet, or just wanting to learn more about your beloved puppy, you’ve come to the right place.
Read the breed profiles, view photos, share your photos, discuss with other small dogs owners & learn about the personalities and traits of each breed. Find out why people love having a small dog as a family pet.